January 14, 2012

The little soup that can

Today, I made cream of mushroom soup. Sure, it would have been easier to buy it. I get that. But have you read soup labels? I cant pronounce half the crap in there....and if I cant pronounce it, I probably shouldn't be ingesting it. Or at least that's my philosophy (sometimes....I have been known to eat and enjoy hotdogs, so....I don't always follow my philosophy's!).

You will need:
1 cup diced fresh mushrooms
3 cups whole milk
4 tbs butter
2 tbs minced fresh onion
1 tbs corn starch
salt to taste
 Dice up 1 cup of mushrooms, any kind you like. I use regualr white mushrooms because they are normally on sale. But I think crimini's would be great in this as well.

Dice up about two tablespoons of onion.







Saute mushroom and onion with 4 tbs of butter until soft. Stir in cornstarch.









Add in your milk, salt to taste and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes. Mixture will thicken slightly. Freeze for later use, or use immediately in whatever casserole or recipe you need it for.  Easy, and I know how to pronounce everything that goes in it. Novel concept, yes? :)













No comments: