April 8, 2012

How Freezer Cooking Makes Life Easier

Several people I know have commented about how they don't think they would like to freezer cook, because things often don't taste the same when they come out of the freezer, and plus it takes so much time.

For me, it's the exact opposite. I have a very stressful and time consuming job, along with a 45 minute commute each way. If I don't plan ahead and have meals ready to be cooked at home, I end up eating junk. If I do try to cook, I often feel exhausted and overwhelmed by the end of the day, with a sink full of dishes still waiting for me to do. Freezer cooking is my life saver!

Granola- made ahead, of course!


I cook once a week. We dont eat casseroles all the time, either. Sometimes freezer cooking is about cooking some granola bars ahead to have as a quick snack, or cooking a large batch of chicken to have ready for salad or pizza toppings. It makes cooking, when I do it, much easier. In fact, last week I came home and decided to make homemade pizza. I spread sauce on the dough, then opened up the freezer and pulled out a ziplock bag full of diced sausage and veggies. Spread it on my dough, top with cheese and bake. Healthy, homemade, quick. No hassle. Love it!

Here's an example of what happens when I dont freezer cook, or plan ahead. I wake up at 6am, get ready, leave the house, stop at mcdonalds for a coffee and something cheap off the dollar menu, probably do the same for lunch, get home at 6pm (with a stomach ache from the mc-d's, likely) and stare at my kitchen, wondering wtf I'm going to make J and I for dinner. I spend an hour cooking, and the dishes pile in the sink. The next morning I wake up and am frazzled because I cant find any clean coffee cups. Life sucks when I dont plan ahead.

The point is, freezer cooking is just about planning ahead. In fact, it doesnt even need to involve the freezer. You can chop veggies ahead of time, plan and pack your lunches, make twice as much dinner and freeze half for another night. If you arent sure how a particular dish will taste reheated, just try it. I freeze a lot of diced chicken, browned meat, etc. as an easy add in. I avoid freezing pastas.

Experiment and see what freezer cooking can do for your life.

No comments: