March 10, 2013

Birthday Cake

We do birthday cake a little differently around here.

When J and I first started dating, I decided to make him a family recipe on his birthday that he has been asking for ever since. He calls it roll cake, but in reality it is a yule log with ice cream instead of cream. It comes from the German side of my family, modified by my mom to include ice cream. It tastes like childhood, and now J's birthday. I am probably a little too proud to make this cake. It is not for novice bakers, but I still recommend trying it, because it's just plain fun. And if you do it right, delicious.

You will need:
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup corn starch
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Mix the flour and corn starch, set aside. Separate your eggs. Crack the egg in half, move the yolk back and forth between the half shells, allowing the white to separate and fall into the bowl below.

Combine egg yolks, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat until it turns pale yellow.


In a clean, dry bowl, combine egg whites and salt. Beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar, beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. A dry bowl is critical here. Egg whites won't whip when there is water introduced, or any fat, so if you are using the same bowl that you used to whip the egg yolks, make sure there are none left (the yolks are fatty.)

Fold in the egg whites to the yolks. When combined, add the flour and corn starch in thirds.

Spread the fluffy batter over a lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown.

HERES THE TRICKY PART. Pay attention, you! Lay a clean dish towel on your counter. Flip the cake on top and remove the paper/foil/whatever you lined the pan with *carefully!*

Using the clean towel, slowly roll up the cake. Set aside to cool.

When cool, slowly unroll the cake, spread the inside with ice cream.

I used a burnt brown sugar coconut ice cream I made in my mixer.

ice cream!
leave about an inch on each edge.
Roll the cake back up, wrap in saran wrap, freeze for AT LEAST a day. I recommend 2 days in order for the flavors to meld.

 Voila! Fancy Cake!












No comments: