December 29, 2011

Homemade granola bars

A friend told me I should post better pictures of the recipes process. I thought that was a great idea.... except that I always forget to do it. Oops! Well anyways, I keep these around the house as a grab-n-go type of treat. I make several variations but the basic recipe is always the same:

2 cups rolled oats
2/3 c any nut butter you prefer
1/4 c honey
2 tbs jam of your choice
1 cup total of any add ins you like

Melt nut butter, honey and jam in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat, stir in oats. When oats are thoroughly coated with mixture, fold in your extras. I usually add cranberries, coconut, chocolate chips, flax, etc. Add anything you prefer.

Spread mixture on wax paper and place another sheet of wax paper on top. Using your rolling pin, roll out the granola mixture to your desired thickness. I usually have ours 1/2 inch thick. Let sit for one hour at room temp. Cut into bars, store in the fridge or enjoy with cold glass of milk :)


No comments: