December 24, 2011

Roll it on thick

I could have picked up a bag of bakery rolls from the store. Or frozen rolls to bake myself. But really, nothing says Christmas dinner love like fresh baked rolls hot from the oven. Now, I do most of my baking nowadays with wheat flour, and eventually plan in getting my own nutrimill to grind my own flour. However, nothing is more nostalgic to me than fluffy white rolls with a Christmas ham. So here we have white rolls made with bread flour. If you're wondering what the difference is between bread flour and regular AP flour, Google it. I believe it has something to do with different types of protiens and how the yeast reacts and blah blah. All I know is that the flour makes a darn fluffy roll,  folks. Here's how I made mine:
1 c milk
3 tbs butter
2 tsp yeast
Pinch o salt
Larger pinch o turbinado( sugar)
5 cups of bread flour, give or take

This recipe is made with love, meaning exact measurements vary based on how into the process I'm feeling that day. First, heat up your milk and butter in a sauce pan until butter melts and mixture feels pretty warm to touch. In a bowl (a big one!) Combine abut two cups of the flour, salt sugar and yeast. Pour warm milk mixture over the flour and start mixing, adding more flour as you go until some magical dough forms. Knead this awesome dough for a few minutes. Put it in a greased bowl, turn and flip to coat, let rise for twenty minutes.
After the time is up, take about a table spoon of dough at a time and start rolling balls. Mmm dough balls. Anyways, when you are finished, grease a muffin tin and put three balls in each muffin cup. Set aside, let rise for an hour. Brush with a beaten egg. Bake at 350 for about 20 mins, or until you just can't stand the wait any longer. Eat warm with butta. Enjoy :)


No comments: