May 13, 2012

What to do with the chard in your yard...er, garden....

Pretty, yet gross.
I really hate rainbow chard. I really don't know why I decided to grow it, other than it looks pretty. I don't like cooked greens in general, unless its creamed spinach and it's sitting on top of a steak.

That is, until I made this:

Bacon and Rainbow Chard Baked Eggs (what a mouthful...)
6 eggs
rainbow chard from your garden
4 pieces of bacon, diced
one diced onion
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup half and half.
1/2 cup cheese, shredded

Beat eggs and half and half and set aside. In a skillet saute onion, bell pepper, and bacon until cooked through.
Chard Before
Chard after! It really shrinks down...
 Add in washed, chopped chard, stirring frequently until wilted. Fold in salsa. In a 8x8 pan (or pie pan, in my case, spread the bacon mixture evenly on the bottom, top with egg mixture and cheese. Bake on 350 for 20 minutes or until set.
Enjoy your chard :)

That's a good vegetable!














No comments: