August 18, 2012

Seafood Casserole

Little known fact about Bob: I dont really care for seafood. I mean I can have fish every blue moon and enjoy it, but seafood is not one of those things that I just lust after. A certain national lobster chain restaurant is also on my top list of things to hate, just fyi. I think its kinda gross. Then, if you mix sea food with mayo, oh wow. That is certainly a recipe for Bob gagging all over the kitchen.  However, I am surprised to say that I really liked this casserole recipe, courtesy of my MIL, even though it has seafood and mayo in it. In fact, I will go so far to say I loved it. It was really good, which is why I'm sharing it with you (hopefully she wont mind)....
You will need:
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
8 oz sliced mushrooms
One can of crab meat (about 8 oz or so)
8 oz of salad shrimp
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 cup of mayo
4-6 cups of cooked rice
2 TBS flour
4 TBS butter
1 tsp red pepper flake

First, cook rice and line a casserole dish with it. I used a 9x11 casserole dish  and 5 cups rice and it worked well.

In a large saute pan, combine onion, celery, red pepper flake, and mushrooms with 2 TBS of the butter and saute until soft. Add in the additional 2 TBS of butter and melt it, then sprinkle the flour over the mixture. Stir to combine, until you can no longer see flour. Pour in the milk, bring the heat up to high for about 2 minutes and stir contantly. Reduce heat to medium and stir in mayo until all lumps are smoothed out. Fold in the crab and shrimp. Stir to combine thoroughly, then pour the mixture into the rice lined casserole dish. Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.







No comments: