August 23, 2012

All the little layers

Naturally I relate everything back to food (should I be embarrassed by that??). I was thinking earlier about how sometimes people can look one way but be completely different on the inside. And then I started thinking about how people are kind of like onions....but then I realized, not all people smell and make you cry, so maybe thats not a fair comparison. I suppose people are more like lasagna. Intricate little layers that make a whole, but you dont always pay attention to those intricate layers. Each layer is important and plays a part in the final product....


not a people lasagna.
 okay, I'm done. Heres my recipe for lasagna:

2 boxes of oven ready lasagna noodles
1 lb ground turkey (if your a vegetarian, substitute 16 oz of spinach here)
8 oz sliced mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic, diced small (or more, if your into that kind of thing)
1 diced bell pepper
1 diced onion
1 lg container of ricotta cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup milk
2 lg cans crushed tomatoes
1 tbs italian seasoning

Saute onion, mushroom, garlic, bell pepper and ground turkey (or spinach, if you prefer no fleshy flesh) until cooked through and the onions are slightly translucent. Set aside.

In a bowl, mix the italian seasoning, milk, ricotta and cottage cheese thoroughly.

In a large 9x13 pan, layer the following ingredients: tomatoes, noodles, cheese, meat mixture, noodles. Repeat until you have a very full and heavy pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.

No comments: