August 24, 2012

Spiced Squash

A few weeks back I was weeding my garden and came across two extra butternut squash growing. Huh. So laziness does pay off. I like food, and I like surprises, so it was a win win. Except for the weeding part.

Anyways, I usually only eat butternut squash in soup. Since we are leaving on vacation I needed to put up the squash so it didn't rot on our counter while we were away. This is what I did:

Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and put on a cookie sheet. Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or so, or until it looks done. See?




Then, scoop out all the goodness (no skin, please) into a bowl. I had two medium sized squash. Mash the squash with 1/4 brown sugar, 1 tbs pumpkin pie spice, and 2 tbs maple syrup. It will look like pumpkin pie filling but taste better :)

I put mine in a ziplock bag and stuck it in the freezer. Come fall, I can defrost it, whip it with an egg and some cream, and make a pie. Isn't that special and neat and blah blah blah (enter martha stewart voice here). It tastes pretty good just like this, too....I know because I licked the spoon. What a bad girl!

No comments: