October 7, 2012

Canning totals for 2012

I put up my canning supplies today. I am officially DONE! I mean, I'm sure I could think of more things to can..... buuuuut I'm kinda over it. I want my life back.
fall marks the end of canning season
I'm proud of the amount of food I was able to put up for winter though. I must say, with all the effort and my learning curve, I'm sure that if this were the 1800's I would starve to death this winter.
Theres a happy thought, yes? I'm just saying- I have no idea how people did it.

Mad props to you, pilgrims.

Here are my totals for 2012:
5 apple sauce
4 apple jam
pickles and jam and and and.....
4 pickled green beans
3 pickled cucumbers
2 cranberry jam
3 pear sauce
5 peach jam
7 red salsa
10 green salsa
5 rainbow salsa
4 strawberry jame
3 strawberry syrup
2 strawberry sauce
3 strawberry-blueberry jam
3 cherry blueberry jam


Total items canned: 66 (approximate. we have used some jams and salsas, so it is probably somewhat higher).

This does not include the amount of items I have preserved and frozen. All in all, I'd say it was a productive year.

Here are my frozen totals:
2 lbs corn
2 lbs green beans
7 quart bags of tomato sauce
2 freezer bags of strawberries
7 quart bags of pureed pumpkin
4 quart bags of pureed butternut squash

tomatoes that will be turned into rainbow salsa
Lets see how long through the winter I can make it all last, shall we?

No comments: