October 13, 2012

Stuffed Squash

I probably have posted this recipe before, but I made it the other night and I realized what an economical meal this dish is in the fall. Squash is usually on sale, and people who garden usually have some salsa laying around from their tomato haul. All I had to buy for this meal was the sausage and the squash, so it ended up costing about 5 dollars. Not the cheapest dinner I can come up with, but it sure is pretty and delish, not to mention simple, which makes it A++ in my book.
a fall favorite in our house
You will need:
1/2 lb hot ground sausage
1 1/2 cups salsa
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1 acorn squash

Brown the sausage until cooked through. Remove from heat, stir in 1 1/2 cups of salsa.

Hollow out squash by removing seeds and goo. Place on a baking sheet. Fill the inside of the squash with sausage and salsa mixture. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, then top squash with cheese and bake another 10 minutes.

No comments: