November 25, 2012

How to make your own homemade Kahlua (coffee liquor)

I loooove Kahlua. It is my favorite think to mix with milk (like a grown up chocolate milk!). But, since I'm cheap and what have you, I decided to make my own just to see how it would turn out. My grandpa used to make his own when he was alive, and being an observant child I followed the recipe I watched him make in his kitchen sink (no lie!). Hehe....I miss him.


You will need:
1 pot of brewed coffee (good quality. I used a chocolate flavored variety my MIL brought us back from Hawaii)
1 bottle (.75L) of vodka or rum (I chose vodka because it has a milder taste)
1 lb brown sugar
1 TBS vanilla

While the coffee is still hot, stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Allow it to cool. Mix in vodka and vanilla. Stir to combine. Cool in the fridge. To serve, mix into your favorite milkshake, drink it straight over ice, or mix it with milk: half kahlua, half milk. I know some people who really like it with pepsi, but I cant do that. 

No comments: