December 24, 2012

Homemade tortillas

These were so awesome! I think I am going to invest in a tortilla press, because seriously, homemade tortillias are the bomb!

The only trouble I had was rolling them out thin enough. Mine turned out rather thick, like pita bread, almost. A got a few rolled thin enough, but overall they were pretty substantial. I think next time I will try a press, and see how that works.
tortillas topped with maple chipotle pork, spicy sour cream and cheddar cheese
 You will need:
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbs baking powder (the recipe I used called for 2 tbs, but i think it was way too much. I recommend using only one tbs.)
2 tbs lard (or shortening)
1 cup of water

Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in large bowl. Add in lard (I used shortening, but bacon lard would be awesome in this if you have any on hand!) and crumble into the flour mixture. Hands are the best tool for this. The mixture should be well incorporated- it should look crumbly. Add in water slowly, stiring to combine. Set dough aside for a moment.

Turn griddle or skillet on med-hi. Divide the dough into one inch balls, flour counter liberally, and roll into circles. If the edges of your tortillas are jagged rough, you added too much lard. You should aim for the tortillas to be the thickness of a dime. This can be hard, which is why I think i'll buy a tortilla press!

Gently place the tortilla onto the hot griddle/skillet. Cook for 25 seconds on one side, use tongs to flip over, cook for 15 seconds on the other side. Lay cooked tortilla on a clean kitchen towel while you make more. Stack together in the kitchen towel, cover. This will keep the tortillas warm and pliable.

Fill with goodies, enjoy :)

No comments: