March 9, 2013

An interesting frugal week....

And by frugal, I mean expensive. So....heres the low-down:

About a year ago I started feeling kind of blah. I also started to gain a decent amount of weight pretty steadily. I noticed that when I ate sweets, I felt kinda sick. Or white bread. But, I didn't really think too much of it, because we don't really eat those things that often anyways. We usually eat whole grain, and any sweets we have are usually made from scratch anyways, so I don't feel as bad eating them. But even though we eat a pretty healthy diet, I continued to gain weight steadily.

Every time I went to the doctor, I was told to eat healthier and exercise. Well, thanks. Duh.

This last time though, my new doctor actually listened and ran some *expensive* blood work. Turns out I am insulin resistant, pre-diabetic, and have PCOS.  He put me on some drug called Metformin, and holy crap, Batman, I feel so much better! Apparently it helps your body regulate blood sugar, helps you ovulate (which I was also having problems with) and helps control the levels of cholesterol in your blood. My doctor listened to what I had to say, looked at my food diary and confirmed he thought we ate pretty healthy, and just overall validated that what I had to say was important.

I'll be honest, it felt good to know that I wasn't crazy this whole time. And, even though I am usually very against taking medication, I am so thankful to be able to have caught this early enough, before I ended up with full blown diabetes.

What does this mean for the blog?

I will try to focus more on whole grain, low carb recipes to the best of my ability. I am not giving up bread or pasta. I know I should, but I will not. Moderation is key. You will be seeing a lot more vegetable based recipes on this blog from here on out. :)

Now, back to the FOOD!

No comments: