June 2, 2013

Dealing with pregnancy cravings on the cheap

This is our first baby, so I must say that pregnancy do's and don'ts have been a learning curve for me. I don't generally find out I'm not supposed to do something until after I do it....hmm. You mean I'm only supposed to lift 25 lbs? So carrying that 50 lb bag of dog food around Sam's Club was a bad idea?

I say the human body is stronger than we give it credit for. Of course, I'll be taking J to Sam's Club for all my future dog food carrying needs from now on, though.

Anyways, on to the point of this post, shall we? Food!

I have been craving some strange things....for breakfast I could seriously eat egg McMuffins like, every day. So, in order to save money and make it slightly healthier, I made a bunch of them homemade and stuffed them in the freezer for easy morning access. No drive thru line required.

I'm going to just say a few things for any expectant mothers or women who might become one someday: when you are pregnant, cut yourself some slack. Normally I would have made my own English muffins, but I'm tired, darn it! While I spent a little more on buying them, I'm still spending less than going to McD's every morning. Another piece of advice: invest in some paper plates, because you won't want to do dishes. Promise. Sometimes spending a little money saves your sanity.

Egg and Bacon Muffins:
12 eggs
12 pieces of bacon, cut in half and cooked until crisp
12 whole-wheat muffins
12 slices of cheddar or American cheese

Grease a standard muffin tin. Crack the eggs into the tin, bake @ 325 until the eggs are cooked through (10-15 mins).

This is the easiest way to cook all of the eggs at once, and makes the process super quick (which is great if looking at food makes you queasy)

Assemble your sandwiches!





No comments: