February 26, 2012

A granola bar, from start to finish

I do not enjoy buying granola bars anymore. They have so much sugar and ingredients that I cant even pronounce. So, here's my homemade version. Warning, they may not be as pretty at store bought bars :)

Granola Bars:

1 1/2 C of oats
1/4 C peanut butter
3 TBS coconut oil
2 TBS jam or jelly of your choice (I used guava)
1/2 C mix in's (I used 1/4 dark chocolate chips and 1/4 C dried cranberries)
1/4 nuts (optional-I didnt use them here.)

First, combine oats and mix in's in a large bowl.

In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil with jam and peanut butter.

When it is smooth, combine all ingredients and stir thoroughly (my mixture is dark because my chocolate chips melted. If you don't want that to happen, add them on top while the bars "set up")

Plop the mixture on to some wax paper. Place a nother piece of wax paper on top, and roll it all out with a rolling pin to desired thickness. I go with about a 1/2 inch thick.



 Let sit for 2 hours (or longer, depending on thickness). When the mixture is set, cut into bars and store in the fridge until you are ready to eat. I store mine in little sandwich baggies so I can throw one into my lunch bag in the morning.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many bars does your recipe make?

Bob! said...

The yield in this recipe depends on how thin you roll the granola :) I usually get about 8, but I roll mine to about 1/4 inch thickness (I like them to be kind of crispy). Also, they taste better after having sat in the fridge for a day or so.