September 29, 2012

Green Tomato Salsa Verde

Hello, lover.
I was pretty skeptical about trying this recipe......green tomatoes are not appealing to me at all, and salsa verde is usually made with tomatillos, not green tomatoes. But, I had about 5 pounds of green, beautiful heirlooms from my garden that I didn't want the frost or the bugs to get, so I decided I may as well try it out.

I am so very glad I did. This salsa is the shiz.

You will need:
5 pounds of green tomatoes, any variety
2 onions, cut into chunks
6 cloves of garlic
5 jalepenos, seeded and cut into chunks
2 Anaheim peppers, cut into chunks
1/4 cup olive oil
1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped, stems included
1 tsp red pepper flake
1 TBS Cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup water

Put everything in a giant pot, like this:
 Then cook it on med-hi for about 15 minutes or so...like this:
 Let the mixture cool over night in the fridge. The next day, blend the salsa in your blender or food processor or if you are me, and too cheap to buy a blender, do it in batches in your magic bullet. Then go jump off the roof because it takes you forever. Can it like you would anything else. I used a hot water bath. This recipe made 10 jars. Holy Salsa, Batman!
 Who knew unripe tomatoes from the garden could taste so damn good? Serve this salsa cold with tortilla chips. Or, put some on top of your burrito.

No comments: