September 29, 2012

What to do with a bushel of apples

A bushel is a lot of apples.

I didn't quite realize that. Hmmm. Well, anyways....our fridge drawer is full of apples for lunches next week, and I made applesauce, apple jam and I have apple butter brewing in the crock pot as I type. And there is still more apples to be dealt with....but I haven't gotten that far yet. I also made green tomato curry sauce and bread, but thats another post.

I earned this beer, damnit. And can I say, typing in this blog and drinking a Sam Adams Oktoberfest is very relaxing? Life is good.

So first, I went to Gross' Orchard and spent entirely too much money. I got 5 pumpkins (4 of which will be roasted and frozen), a gallon of apple cider, a bushel of apples and a jar of peach preserves for my uncle-in-law for Christmas (hopefully he doesn't ever see this blog...oops).

 I chose a variety of apples, including golden delicious, red delicious, granny smith and my favorite: an heirloom called Arkansas Black. Its hard and tart and it made for good jam.
For sauce, cut up the apples, a considerable amount of sugar, some lemon juice and cinnamon. Cook on low, covered, for as long as it takes to make it look like sauce :)
 For apple butter: put it in the crock pot and turn on low, stirring every so often for about 6 or so hours.
 For apple jam: in a saucepan, cook 8 cups of chopped apples, 1/3 cup water and 1 TBS butter until the apples just begin to get soft. Stir in 4 cups of sugar (brown sugar if you want a caramel taste), and one box of pectin. Bring to a boil and stir constantly for two minutes. Remove from heat and can. Process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
 Apple sauce and apple jam (which is lighter), getting ready to go in the hot tub for processing.
 Cooling and sealing :) What a productive day, wouldn't you say?? Now we will have apple stuff throughout the winter.
Woo hoo! Aren't my canning skills just damn sexy? I know. Control yourself.

No comments: