October 13, 2012

How to make breakfast for .56 a day

Today I made my own instant oatmeal packets. Each packet averages out to about .56. I know whats in my oatmeal, there are no added preservatives, and they are very healthy and filling. I recommend giving it a try if you are an oatmeal lover such as myself. The following ingredients made 30 packets. If you bought the ingredients in even larger bulk (like from sams or costco) you can save more per packet. I didn't do that, I just bought the stuff at walmart and called it good.

You will need:
1 box of snack size zip-top bags (get them at the dollar store for $1)
1 42 oz container of quick cooking oats
1 10ounce bag of finely chopped walnuts
1 24 ounce bag of dried cranberries
1/2 lb brown sugar

 In each bag assemble the following:
1/2 cup oats
2 TBS cranberries
1 TBS walnuts
1/2 TBS brown sugar

To eat:
Pour the contents of the bag in a microwave save bowl. Add 3/4 cup of water or milk. Heat for 30 seconds, stir, and heat for another 30 seconds. Let sit for a minute to thicken.

No comments: