November 25, 2012

A new favorite side dish...

I'll be honest. I didn't even really know what a lentil was up until recently. In every health magazine people were raving about lentils, and how good for you they are, packed with fiber and protien and blah blah blah. Whatever.

Then I bought some after seeing how ridiculously cheap they were. Holy cow, batman! .68 for a pound of dried lentils? Sold!

I tried throwing them in soups, to no avail. I cant cook a lentil? Are you kidding me? I can cook anything. This is ridiculous! These lentils were defective.

I served these lentils with salmon over a bed of spinach.
Until I tried making this:

1/2 cup dried lentils
one medium sliced onion
olive oil
1 cup water
Worcestershire sauce
pinch salt and red pepper flake
sour cream

the spoon with the stupid hole can conquer any dish.
In a skillet, saute onions in olive oil until translucent and browning. Add lentils, stir to coat in olive oil. Add water, bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium, put a lid on it and check back every minute or so to stir. When all of the water has cooked out, stir in a few dashed of Worcestershire sauce, a dash of salt and red pepper flake.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream. YUM....I will never fear lentils ever again :)


No comments: