November 4, 2012

Homemade Chicken Stock

Around this time last year I noticed that chicken stock suddenly went from .68 a can to over 1.00 per can. Well, I never!

Ha. Yes folks, I am that cheap. Anyways, what I'm getting at here is that seeing the price hike on seasonal items really ticked me off. Stores try to convince you that you're getting a good deal on turkey (which you usually are) and then they sneak in a little profit where they can with chicken stock! I can't blame them...they are a business after all. Still, I wont have it. Nope. Not at all.
Earlier, when I made chicken salad, I had used a whole chicken. I used most of the chicken for chicken salad, and then froze the rest of it for pizza toppings. Then, I took the carcass, covered it with water, added a few celery ribs, diced onion,and bay leaves and simmered it for 2 hours. Cool the broth to room temperature, strain off the bones and skim off the fat. Freeze to use in soups, gravy, etc later. And it didn't even come out of a can....imagine that.

No comments: