January 12, 2013

Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent

This morning, after a lot of caffeine, I decided to tackle our laundry pile I have been neglecting for the past week. I approached the machine with gusto, to find out that we needed laundry soap. Well, poo.

Never fear, with enough coffee and a ready supply of laundry soap ingredients, I whipped up a batch in no time. I chose to make the dry soap this time instead of liquid, because I had a monsterous to-do list and liquid soap takes longer to make.

You will need:
1 bar of plain soap. I use plain Ivory (for no reason other than I got it on sale- 16 bars for $4) .
1 cup of washing soda (NOT baking soda)
1/2 cup borax
1/4-1/2 cup oxiclean (optional- I like it though)


Grate the soap using a fine grater. This doubles as a good bicep workout.
soap curls!

Stir in the remaining ingredients into the soap curls and stir until mixed thoroughly.

Add 1 TBS to your machine, 2 if the clothes are particularly dirty.

  It doesn't seem like much, but it does the trick. For our small family, this batch will last about two months. All of the supplies added up to about 12 dollars....the supplies last us for around 12 months or more. I'd say that's better than spending $20 on a giant thing of tide every two months.

No comments: