March 23, 2013

Soaked Oats

The first time I saw a recipe for soaking oats, and eating them raw (what?! blegh!) I was pretty disgusted.  Oats are one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast. I think I get that from my grandpa, who used to eat them every single day. He lived to be 82 (which is up there for my family).

So, to eat them raw seemed pretty nasty. But, every hippie blog in a thousand miles toted their benefits: easier digestion, easier something or other. I guess I didn't really pay that much attention. I thought I was digesting my cooked oats just fine, thanks.

Anyways, turns out that when you are insulin resistant, food choices suddenly get a little more limited (read as: boring). So, I tried soaking my oats last night to switch up my morning go to staple: oatmeal. It was pretty good! Who knew all those hippies could be right? :P

Weird but delicious....
I used:
1 small container of Oikos greek yogurt with cherries
1/4 cup old fashioned oats, raw
1 TBS milk
1 TBS crushed walnuts
Sprinkling of granola or in my case, corn chex for some crunch.

 The night before, stir the first three ingredients together and cover. Let sit overnight.

In the morning, stir in walnuts and top with something crunchy. You can heat it up if you like, but I preferred it cold. The yogurt is a protein powerhouse, walnuts give you healthy fats, and oat give you fiber. All in all, its a pretty balanced breakfast.

No comments: