April 14, 2013

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

I've been trying very hard to clean out our food storage these last few months by incorporating things I canned last year into meals. Last year was the first year that I really canned a substantial amount of food, so I feel like I now have a better idea of what I canned too much of, and what we need more of next year. One thing I canned too much of: apple sauce.
Coffee cake and coffee, a match made in heaven
This cake is great because you dont have to just add apples to it....you can add berries, pears, carrots and raisins, whatever floats your boat.

You will need:
1/2cup shortening (you can also use butter or softened coconut oil)
1 cup sugar (I cut this down to 3/4 cup and it was still plenty sweet)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups chopped apples (or in this case, applesauce. You can also add some nuts if you want. Go crazy!)

Applesauce from last falls apple haul.
In a mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until crumbly and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beat for 3-4 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add flour to your mixture in small amounts, alternating with the sour cream until all of it is mixed in. Fold the apples and nuts into your batter. Spread batter into a greased 9x13 cake pan and top with brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 30-45 minutes.

I made a smaller cake so I could make a few cupcakes to freeze for breakfasts later.

This cake tastes awesome on a Sunday morning with coffee :)


No comments: