February 26, 2012

The simple life

I'm a pretty poor homemaker. I suppose its hard to be excellent at it when you work 40+ hours a week and commute 90 minutes a day.

However, I am pretty proud of the work I have done to make my home feel more "homey-er." I find a lot of joy in just being at home, doing things around the house, and teaching myself how to do things the old fashioned way. Cooking from scratch, hang drying our laundry on a beautiful day like today, and even trying my hand at sewing (or no sewing, as it would be). I am a firm believer that people do not take enough time to learn the skills that our grandparents know. And someday, that will come back and bite us in the keester.

Some people think that living this way is a waste of time. Why would you make dinner when you can stop at McD's? Why hang dry your laundry when you can just throw it in the dryer? Why sew when you can just buy the curtains? For some people, doing these things is a waste, and that's fine. I don't care how they live. :)

For me, its about learning a skill. Its about carrying on knowledge through the generations. Its also about being as economical as possible, so that we can have a beautiful home and a bright future. Its about knowing what goes inside and on my body, and knowing where it all comes from, whenever I can. Doing these things reduce my stress, they make me thankful for all that I have, and they instill a pride in my home and lifestyle.


No comments: